Sunday, March 22, 2009

Death and Taxes, Dishes and Laundry

©2009 by Angie Ruark


My dad used to tell me that “the only things that are certain in life are death and taxes.” I respectfully and lovingly disagree with my dad’s statement. We have recently seen just how uncertain paying taxes can be- some people get away with not paying them at all! But that’s not what this article is about. Most of you reading this will probably agree with me that we could update my dad’s saying by changing death and taxes to dishes and laundry. Until someone invents disposable clothes (see my post “A Plea for an Invention”) we are faced with the inevitable burdens of dishes and laundry. Every day. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. Summer or winter, spring or fall, come what may, we have dishes and laundry! Even on vacation there is no escape! Even if you eat at restaurants the whole time, you still have laundry!! How about the cooler in the car “to save some money on eating out?” Ugh! That’s just one big dishes item to deal with when you get home and are exhausted and it smells like bologna sandwiches. Forget it!
I used to take a little pride in my housekeeping (when I was a stay at home mom and could actually stay at home, which, by the way, did not last long.) With sincere conviction I used to say, “I will never pay someone to clean my house. I will always take care of it myself.” Ha! What a joke! I am certainly singing a different song now! Funny how a few years have a way of completely reversing an opinion. I just wish I could afford to pay someone to come in and clean my house! Although, I know that I would clean it all up first to make a good impression. Might as well tell it like it is! While I’m at it, I would also like to hire a chef too. And a personal shopper. You know, those really do exist and people really do hire them! Wow! Can you imagine?
But I should get back to reality: dishes and laundry. They are there waiting for
me in the morning (at least a cup or two are and always clothes because they reproduce on their own of course.) It doesn’t matter where you go or what you do, you WILL have dishes and laundry in some form to deal with. But it’s not so bad, at least we have death and taxes too!

No comments: